Bedarra Island Resort
The family owned resort strives to create luxurious experiences in a sustainable way. With our grant funding, the resort is aiming to open all year round, resulting in a 25 percent lift in business.
Through the Great Barrier Reef Island Resorts Rejuvenation Fund Bedarra Island have already:
- installed two bio-cycle waste treatment systems
- installed an off-grid hybrid solar system coupled with a battery bank and a back-up generator; and
- commissioned the first of two electric buggies on the island.
Works are also underway to:
- install storage tanks to collect tropical rainwater;
- compost organic plant waste to fertilise the island vegetable gardens; and
- install a glass crusher which reduces all glass to sand for pathways
Reduced diesel consumption by 97%
Increased water storage capacity by 50% to 1,000,000+ litres
Improved guest experience – no generator noise or smell
Last updated: 01 Jul 2020