Activate! Queensland Strategy
Our 10-year strategy to get more Queenslanders moving, more often.
We know Queenslanders love their sport and take advantage of our wonderful environment to get out and get active.
However, research tells us many people face significant barriers that stop them from being active or playing sport, including:
- age and health
- socio-economic factors
- time availability
- parenting commitments.
What we will do
We are investing $1.3 billion over 10 years to improve opportunities for Queenslanders to participate in physical activity.
The funding model will ensure investment in sport and active recreation is directed where it's needed most. We'll coordinate investment under a shared vision across Queensland Government agencies and create opportunities for government investment for organisations and activities that meet our strategic objectives.
Initiatives that we deliver under this investment will:
- target inactive Queenslanders who face the most barriers to accessing physical activity opportunities
- prioritise quality and equity as fundamental to the physical activity experience
- influence the physical and social environments where people live, work and learn to encourage active lifestyles
- strengthen knowledge-sharing across the active industry, universities and government agencies
- support improved sustainability, which will maximise the impact of the active industry and provide market-driven, quality and affordable services to Queenslanders
- make better use of existing state-owned facilities to provide more physical activity opportunities.
We want to:
- empower more Queenslanders to enjoy physical activity to improve their health and wellbeing in active communities.
- create partnerships that maximise the impact of the government and industry actions to benefit an active Queensland.
- inspire activity with places and spaces that invite an active lifestyle.
- drive elite success and deliver and promote world-class knowledge and facilities.
Get everyone active
The strategy will direct investment at:
- creating quality infrastructure to support physical activity
- addressing barriers to participation.
This will support more Queenslanders to be active regardless of age, background, gender or ability.
We want to see a rise in activity rates for Queenslanders:
- 60% of children are active for one hour per day, up from 41%
- 75% of adults are sufficiently active, up from 60 %.
Keep Queensland winning
The strategy will keep Queensland winning by ensuring:
- our athletes have access to quality training facilities, coaching and support services
- our world-class facilities continue to attract international events and provide quality experiences
- 25% of Queensland Academy of Sport athletes continue to be selected for national teams.
Play as a team
Importantly, Activate! Queensland sees us playing as a team. If government, industry and community collaborate, it will allow us to:
- leverage investment
- share knowledge
- deliver initiatives that meet diverse needs.
How we will get there
Implementing the strategy will require coordinated, collaborative effort across government, industry and the community. Partnerships with the active industry will be a critical foundation and will have direct impacts on key initiatives.
Activate! Queensland focuses on 4 priority areas:
Download the strategy
The first 3 year action plan, Our Active8 will end in June 2022. The second action plan will commence on 1 July 2022.
Download the action plan
In March 2020, COVID-19 significantly impacted the delivery of Our Active8. Some scheduled initiatives were put on hold or refocussed as Year 2 of the action plan became responsive to the impacts of the pandemic on the industry and the broader Queensland community. To provide targeted support to Queensland sport and active recreation clubs, budgets were realigned to the Sport and Recreation Covid Safe Restart Plan. In December 2020 the State Government released Unite and Recover, Queensland’s COVID-19 Economic Recovery Plan providing a necessary shift in the priorities for the State.
The Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport is reviewing Our Active8 in order to inform the next steps and best way to implement Action Plan 2.
Delivery for initiatives under Our Active8 that did proceed, included:
- the delivery of a $27.0 million investment in Sport and Recreation infrastructure approved under the Active Community Infrastructure program, including two Community Use of Schools projects. 3 out of a total of 4 projects have now been completed.
- the delivery of a $40 million investment in Queensland Active Precincts capital projects to inspire physical activity with places and spaces that invite an active lifestyle.
- completion of a $9.8 million upgrade for the Queensland Academy of Sport’s Queensland Sport and Athletics Centre at Nathan boosting the centre’s facilities and scientific work with a new, larger gym for training elite athletes and commencement of upgraded biomechanical and physiological testing, a blood lab and instrumented running track.
- continued support to Queensland children with the cost of travel to sporting competitions through the Emerging Athletes Program.
- support for Queensland athletes preparations for the 2020 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games being held in Tokyo in 2021.
- release of the ActiveKIT (Knowledge, Innovation and Technology) program as a partnership between the Department of Tourism, Innovation and Sport and Health and Wellbeing Queensland, with 108 applications received and 39 projects approved.
Sport and Recreation Partnerships Office
The Partnerships Office is your new single point of entry to Sport and Recreation.
The office will be the gateway for all future opportunities to collaborate and achieve health and wellbeing outcomes for Queenslanders under the new strategy, Activate! Queensland.
Through this office, Sport and Recreation will leverage local opportunities and improve coordination by working together with the community and collaborating with other government agencies to deliver opportunities to those who need it the most.
It will transform the way we plan and deliver into the future, streamlining processes and enabling targeted investment.
To get in contact with the team, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: 30 Aug 2021