Active Gameday Projects
Active Gameday Projects is now closed for applications. Successful projects will be announced in early 2022.
The Active Gameday Projects fund is an initiative under the Queensland Government’s Activate! Queensland 2019-2029 strategy. The initiative will help the sport and active recreation industry on the road to recovery by investing in smaller scale infrastructure projects that benefit local communities.
Funding will support field of play participation-enhancing works, that meet local community level playing requirements under two project types:
- Project Type 1 - install or upgrade of sports lights
- Project Type 2 - develop or upgrade of playing surfaces/space(s) including irrigation.
Read the Active Gameday Projects guidelines (PDF, 591.4KB) for more detail about funding priorities and program requirements.
Active Gameday Projects will offer grants to not-for-profit sport and active recreation organisations and local governments to work collaboratively, with the department, to deliver 'field of play’ infrastructure projects that enhance participation opportunities at the local community level.
Total funding of $9.726 million (GST exclusive) is available, including $1 million dedicated for eligible organisations that have partnered with Education Queensland schools for projects located on State School land.
27 September 2021 – Applications opened
5 November 2021 – Applications closed
Early 2022 – Successful projects announced
30 June 2023 – Projects completed
30 September 2023 – Projects acquitted and reports submitted
Who can apply?
Organisations eligible to apply for funding are:
- not-for-profit local or regional sport or active recreation organisations (with an objective of sport or active recreation) that:
- deliver or coordinate an eligible activity/ies,
- are registered with an Australian Business Number (ABN); and
- are incorporated under the:
- Associations Incorporation Act 1981 (Queensland)
- Corporations Act 2001 (Commonwealth)
- Co-operatives National Law Act 2020
- Corporations (Aboriginal & Torres Strait) Act 2006 (Commonwealth)
- Queensland local governments
- incorporated sport or active recreation State Level Organisation managing infrastructure for local community use where there is no professional team in residence
- a national sport organisation operating in Queensland under a governance model recognised by Sport Australia, managing infrastructure for local community use where there is not a professional team in residence
- state-wide, multi-location, sport and active recreation organisations whose branches/sites are not separately incorporated.
At the time of the program close, organisations must:
- have no outstanding compliance issues with Office of Fair Trading
- have met all obligations for projects currently funded by the department; and
- have no debt owing to the department.
Before applying for this program, contact the Office of Fair Trading or telephone 13 QGOV (13 74 68) or the nearest Sport and Recreation office to determine whether the organisation has any outstanding compliance issues.
Each approved project will be provided funding between a minimum of $50,000 (GST exclusive) and up to a maximum of $150,000 (GST exclusive) over an 18-month construction period. Projects must have a maximum estimated total project cost of less than $500,000 (GST exclusive).
Funding contributions towards a project are dependent on the total eligible costs for the project. Organisations are required to provide a minimum 20% financial co-contribution to the project, excluding organisations that are located in a Local Government Areas with discrete communities.
The following contributions for funding apply:
Minimum applicant financial contribution
(LGAs without discrete communities)
Minimum applicant financial contribution
(LGAs with discrete communities)*
$50,000 - $150,000
20% of total project cost
*Refer to Appendix B in the guidelines (PDF, 591.4KB).
- Active Gameday Projects Planning Checklist (PDF, 512.3KB)
- Active Gameday Projects Community Use of Schools (PDF, 177.1KB) Fact Sheet new added 22 Oct 2021
- Development and Building Approval Fact Sheet (PDF, 665.4KB)
- Site Plan and Sketch Design Fact Sheet (PDF, 3.3MB) updated 15 Sept 2021
- Quantity Surveyor Fact Sheet (PDF, 600.5KB)
- Project Tendering Fact Sheet (PDF, 601.6KB)
- Active Gameday Projects Sports Lighting Checklist (PDF, 563.0KB) updated 15 Sept 2021
- Active Gameday Projects Sports Lighting Fact Sheet (PDF, 200.2KB)
- Sports Lighting Project Guide (PDF, 669.3KB)
- Council Endorsement Form (PDF, 196.4KB)
- Sport and Recreation Facility Costs (PDF, 699.8KB)
- Goods and Services Tax Fact Sheet (PDF, 582.2KB)
If you would like an example copy of a Field Lighting Calculation Grid or your activity is not listed in the Maximum Illumination Levels (Appendix F), please contact your local Sport and Recreation office.
- Read the Active Gameday Projects guidelines (PDF, 591.4KB) (updated 22 Oct 2021) for more information about the program and requirements.
- Review the program frequently asked questions.
- Read the Activate! Queensland 2019-2029 strategy.
- Call 13 QGOV (13 74 68)
- Speak with your local sport and recreation office.
Last updated: 05 Nov 2021