Great Barrier Reef Island Marine Infrastructure Package
Helping activate island-based tourism on the Great Barrier Reef islands.
We’re providing $3 million for the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) Island Marine Infrastructure Package (MIP) by supporting development of marine infrastructure to connect visitors and residents to the Great Barrier Reef islands.
MIP is part of the Tourism Activation Fund and aligns with Towards Tourism 2032, which identifies the importance of access and connectivity in developing tourism experiences and facilitating new investment in Queensland’s tourism industry.
This funding targets projects based on Great Barrier Reef Islands with a national park and existing or planned tourism development.
Its objectives are to:
- activate island-based tourism by improving access to GBR islands and national park estate for all visitors
- facilitate investment into GBR island resort accommodation and new GBR island tourism experiences
- demonstrate a commitment to the industry and investors about the importance of GBR island resorts
- improve access for GBR island residents and workers
- create and support tourism jobs.
It will provide grants between a minimum of $500,000 up to a maximum of $1.5 million for eligible project costs.
To be eligible for funding, applicants must:
- have an established tourism operation in Queensland
- be a private sector business (e.g. for profit)
- have an Australian Business Number (ABN), an Australian Company Number (ACN) or exemption from these
- be registered for GST.
For projects to be considered, they must:
- develop new marine infrastructure or the upgrade or rebuild of existing marine infrastructure
- commence construction within twelve (12) months of approval and reach practical completion by 31 December 2024
- create new jobs in construction and ongoing operational phases
- increase overnight visitor numbers and expenditure
- deliver regional economic benefits
- be located on a GBR island that has national park estate open to visitors and some form of current or planned tourism development (experience or accommodation)
- remain accessible for public use
- be well advanced in planning and approvals.
Apply for funding
We’ll engage with relevant stakeholders to discuss potential opportunities which could benefit from the funding.
Applications will be managed through the SmartyGrants Portal.
For more information, please see the Marine Infrastructure Package Guidelines.
1 March 2023
Outcomes expected by
Project completion date
31 December 2024
Phone: 07 3335 5277
Last updated: 25 Aug 2022