We lead and support the acquisition and delivery of major events in Queensland such as the ICC T20 World Cup Australia 2020. Often we do this in partnership with the Australian Government and other states.
To ensure Queensland receives benefits from its investment into major events, we leverage across industry, community and other departments and agencies, whilst supporting the operational delivery of the event.
Our partner, Toursim and Events Queensland (TEQ), is responsible for attracting, supporting, growing and promoting successful regional and major events in Queensland to increase visitors. We support TEQ by seeking Government funding for the opportunities they have identified, examining the cost of additional visitors and how the event aligns with Queensland Government objectives.
Our role in major events:
- reviewing bidding documentation and understanding hosting requirements
- identifying resourcing requirements and quantifying costs and economic benefits
- identifying benefits and risks to Queensland
- drafting submissions and providing recommendations on our and other Queensland Government department's involvement and support
- coordinating and liaising between government agencies and participating in working groups
- liaising with TEQ and relevant local councils to market events and ensuring we meet obligations the Host City agreements.
Before COVID-19 our events calendar for 2020 was estimated to be worth $880 million.
Visit the Queensland Events calendar for a range of dynamic and growing sport, arts, entertainment and cultural events throughout Queensland.
Attract visitors to Queensland
Maximise economic growth
New experiences for visitors and locals
Pan Pacific Swimming Championships
Asian Football Confederation Asian Cup
ICC Cricket World Cup
Badminton Sudirman Cup
World Title Boxing
Rugby League World Cup
SportAccord World Sport and Business Summit
World Bowls Championships 2020
ICC T20 World Cup
2020 Toyota AFL Grand Final
Last updated: 02 Mar 2021