Tourism Industry Reference Panel
A unique opportunity to set out the next steps and create a considered, collaborative future for Queensland’s former $25.5 billion tourism industry.
The success of Queensland’s visitor economy plays a key role in the State’s overall economic outlook, and the livelihoods of more than 234,000 Queenslanders who are employed in the tourism industry. The global tourism industry is currently facing unprecedented challenges and uncertainty due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Queensland welcomed more than 28.6 million visitors spending $25.5 billion in 2019.
Almost 234,000 Queenslanders worked and depended on Queensland’s tourism industry for their livelihood – representing one in every 11 Queensland jobs.
In life before COVID, 3 in 10 visitors were international students, whose family and friends also visited Queensland.
Given the significance of tourism in Queensland, a Tourism Industry Reference Panel has been established.
The panel of three experienced industry experts will review Queensland’s visitor economy, identify opportunities to accelerate the tourism industry’s recovery, and seek feedback from industry to help shape long-term success in the sector.
The panel will explore a range of issues, including:
- changes in consumer demand and emerging market opportunities
- Queensland’s brand positioning against competitor destinations, as both a State and destination specific brands
- enablers of tourism growth, including skills, infrastructure and technology
- re-building airline capacity into Queensland as well as other transport options
- opportunities for new products and experiences, including shovel ready projects capable of spurring investment, rejuvenation and visitation
- opportunities for events to drive visitation, including to regional areas and during off-peak periods
- opportunities for Queensland to increase its share of international education.
View the panel's Terms of Reference (PDF, 196.2KB)
The Tourism Industry Reference Panel released a discussion paper (PDF, 4.0MB) seeking input into the future of tourism in Queensland.
While the discussion paper consultation has now closed, the input received will help to identify the actions government and industry will take through a new Action Plan for Tourism Recovery.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest to hear more about the workshops now being organised by the Panel.
Tourism Industry Reference Panel formed
Discussion paper released and consultation begins.
Consultation continues with industry & development of the interim Action Plan for Tourism Recovery gets underway.
Planned release of the final plan.
Last updated: 06 Jul 2021